by Acid Wizard
This is mainly a patch update, with little new content!
– Updated Unity to latest version. This solved some issues, but also added a few bugs which are out of our hands for the moment, like some particles not displaying correctly.
– Optimizations to stuttering for low-end hardware.
– New location between the Dry Meadow and the Silent Forest.
– The Dynamic Resolution option has been upgraded so the pixels don’t render incorrectly when in motion (thanks to Michał!).
– New tree formations in some biomes.
– Several changes to prologue.
– Added map to train wreck in doctor’s house.
– Changes to dog summon attack.
– New animations for dogs.
– Removed crows around dead animals.
– Lantern has a bigger light radius.
– Fixed getting immortality at certain point in game.
– Fixed not getting the underground door key in one case.
– Fixed several bugs in musician’s parents’ house, like not being able to get inside or nothing happening when returning to this location later after getting the violin.
– Fixed unresponsive mutated dogs in Wolfman’s hideout
– Fixed characters getting stuck in musician’s parents’ house entryway.
– Fixed characters being able to open doors locked with a code.
– Fixed pigshed lever not working after loading the game.
– Fixed dark void when returning to the well in the village.
– Fixed some instances when characters could play a custom animation in the wrong place.
– Fixed dark void when travelling from the village while dragging a wardrobe.
– Fixed sometimes incorrectly applied protective gas in hideouts.
– Fixed several missing / broken events after loading the game.
– Fixed being able to open containers with a padlock by using the context menu.
– Fixed being able to drag a chair from under a villager who is sitting on it 😛
– Fixed help popup displaying in the character dialogue.
– Fixed some dialogues.
– Chain cannot be consumed anymore 😛
– Fixed pigshed lever being able to move by itself!
– Fixed too long note in journal.
– Fixed being able to open church trapdoor without knowing the code.
– Fixed unresponsive NPC in the church.
– Fixed missing doctor animations.
– Fixed being able to access village cellar by breaking in or clipping through door.
– Some fixes to night events.
– Fixed lots of typos, missing translations etc.
– Added some sounds.
– Fixed some objects being incorrectly masked by light.
– Fixed missing Wolf shadow.
Next stop: the Epilogue! Wait… what? What about Chapter 2? Well, we’ve decided we need to finish (more or less) the ending in a satisfying way before we work on the middle of the game. So we don’t know what the next update will be about yet, or when it’s going to happen! So please be patient with us while we work on making the ending as good as possible.
The Acid Wizard
by Acid Wizard
Say hello to Darkwood’s biggest content update as of yet! Even though we have tested this Alpha extensively, there are things which are bound to be broken due to the massive amount of changes made, so please bear with us!
– The story progress through Chapter 1 has been overhauled. This resulted in a big amount of changes both small and large, but you will need to find most of them by yourself!
– The Prologue has had some work done on it, and also has it’s own map.
– Most of the dialogue for NPCs has been rewritten.
– Lots of new journal entries, and all previous ones have also been rewritten.
– In-game cutscenes!
– Renamed the Meadow to the Dry Meadow, and Forest to the Silent Forest. We needed a solution for people who were having problems with finding the beginning locations (eg. looking for the Chicken Lady in the Meadow) as they did not know that these are two different biomes .
– New enemies, new attacks and behaviours for existing ones.
– A ton of new characters, mostly villagers.
– Many new idle animations for enemies and characters.
– At lot of new locations, most notably a large village area.
– Wolfman now has hideouts in each biome.
– New quality settings for low-end PCs.
– Improvements to stuttering when exploring the woods.
– Dynamic difficulty scaling to player progress for some enemies.
– The game now saves after talking to NPCs (except when in dreams).
– Several updates and improvements for controller mode and new default bindings as suggested by players.
– Removed mushroom gift after the first night.
– Added specific post process effects for certain locations.
– Removed priority for enemies to attack the player, resulting in more fighting between mobs.
– Added and modified a few help popups.
– Doors move when hit by something.
– Changed gamma settings to brigthness adjustment.
– Un-nerfed dodge.
– Removed game save when leaving the hideout after morning mode.
– Fixed torches and flares not giving light when clipping inside walls, doors etc. – Fixed enemies wanting to jump through small, blocked windows.
– Fixed some events that should be triggered when entering a specific location being fired on game start.
– Fixed pathfinding issues with locations outside of the game world.
– Removed duplicate river in some cases of a generated world.
– Fixed some events not loading properly.
– Some outside locations now have proper rotation based on their corresponding location in the world (like the train wreck).
– Fixed error when destroying the large larva egg.
– Fixed nasty error for characters with changing portraits, resulting in a memory leak.
– Fixed banshee screams not disabling lights.
– Fixed some characters getting stuck in the middle of nowhere.
– Disabled secondary attacks when in inventory.
– Disabled hotbar scrolling when in main menu.
– A lot of AI fixes.
– Fixed item repair popup when it’s no longer usable incorrectly positioning itself.
– Fixed some incorrect gamepad icons.
– Fixed visible culling when being teleported to a new location.
– Fixed map dragging itself when closed.
– Optimized morning mode effect.
– Fixes to Bicycle man behaviour and getting stuck.
– Fixes to violin quest, as doing it in the incorrect order would still get you a outcome you did not want.
– Fixed missing controller translations.
– Fixes to time freeze music playing in dreams and The Three disappearing.
– Fixes to characters still making sounds (eg. barking) after dying.
– Fixed bugs in crafting requirements for gasoline.
– Made horizontal and vertical camera movement dependent on screen size.
– Fixed poison overlay displaying on top of map and journal.
– Fixed some stuff that should fit to the screen size being a pixel or two too small.
– Standing by the oven at night no longer makes you invulnerable to shadows.
– Fixes to controller camera movement and player reach when in dynamic resolution mode.
– Fixed incorrect number of lives showing up sometimes.
– Fixed incorrect skill popup positioning on small screens.
– Fixed not being able to repair weapons in certain situations.
– Fixed characters sometimes getting stuck on barricades.
– Fixed banshees sometimes changing their mind when walking towards the player.
– Fixed characters which wanted to jump through a object even if they did not have the space to do so.
– Fixed crows flying in place.
Chapter 1 still needs some work, but we’re pretty close to how we want it to look. What’s next? We don’t know yet! It’s time for some quality time with the family (mine will grow by one any day now :D) for the Wizards, but we will definitely be looking at the forums and streams to see how you’re liking the new update 😀
The Acid Wizard
by Acid Wizard
This update is a bit overdue, as I had to undergo appendectomy last month and needed some time to recover.
– Darkwood now supports gamepads! Just press any button on your controller during gameplay to switch to gamepad mode, which has many changes compared to the mouse + keyboard scheme to make it easier to play.
Please note that this feature is still experimental, and as we’re not really gamepad players, we’re looking for feedback on how to improve this mode!
– A new difficulty mode! Instead of a permadeath switch when starting a new game, there are now three difficulties: Normal (the same as the non-permadeath mode), Hard (you have a limited number of lives), and Nightmare (the same as the previous permadeath mode).
– Lights and your FOV are blurred (only on High FX settings).
– The protagonist has been completely redrawn! Apart from a sleek new look and new animations, there have been changes to weapon speed and range.
– The Rock Savage has a new look too!
– Some balance changes to items, monsters and weapons.
– Lamps have a bigger light range.
– Modified spawn locations for Elks.
– The pitchfork can get stuck in walls now.
– Some new items to examine.
– Added hints before nightfall concerning the Oven.
– Completely redone the input system to fix some annoying issues.
– Fixes to a few player animation issues.
– Fixes to pathfinding for some enemies in the wilderness, especially elks.
– Fixed not being able to jump through the fence in doctor dream.
– Fixed doctor’s portrait suddenly changing into the generator…
– Fixed Careful Step perk not working with beartraps which were set before the game starts.
– Fixed Scary Face perk making a delay where you can’t use other perks.
– Fixed issues with small windows.
– Fixed black screen after doctor dream.
– Fixed electronic game.
– HOPEFULLY fixed sound volume being reset sometimes.
– Some crafting fixes.
– Fixed weapons losing their upgrades.
– Fixed some items being refilled after death.
– Fixed static effect being applied after getting hit during night.
– Fixed flare smoke rendering incorrectly.
– Removed a few repair kits.
– The protagonist can’t be moved when dying now.
– Fixed torch flames not disappearing when destroying the torch by hitting something.
– Fixes to walls, windows and doors being incorrectly lit.
What’s next? Artur has drawn a ton of new stuff which is waiting to be added, and it looks like we will focus on reworking the storyline of the first chapter in the next update!
The Acid Wizard
by Acid Wizard
It’s time for Alpha 6!
– The well is gone! It may return in a different form in the future, but right now it was just too cumbersome and unintuitive as a mechanic.
– Instead, ovens in hideouts now produce a special kind of gas, which protects you from the horrors that haunt the woods at night.
– New skills, and a new Active Skills menu!
– Added Dynamic Resolution to Video Options (default: on). This means that you will see the same view area around your character on all resolutions.
– Added Hotbar Scroll to Control Options (default: on). You can now change your currently selected hotbar item with your mouse scrollbar.
– Added info popups to some buttons in the main menu.
– The big container in hideouts is now merged with the workbench for less time consuming crafting.
– You can now transport all of your loot from other hideouts by using a special item.
– Gasoline usage by the saw is now shown on the fuel bar (one bar = one wood log converted).
– Dying now respawns you in your current hideout, instead of somewhere in the wild. You also drop half of your items, instead of all. This is connected in other changes we plan for death mechanics in the future.
– Two new NPCs.
– One new enemy.
– Spiders are now invulnerable to fire.
– Balance changes to nights.
– You can’t put stuff in corpses now. This is to prevent placing important items in bodies which might disappear later.
– The map you find in the Underground shows the location of Hideout 2. Additionaly, the hideout is now always close to the gate from the Meadow to the Forest.
– Some changes to player responsiveness, like jumping over obstacles or eating stuff.
– Added feedback when a item is not repairable.
– Gasoline cans can be stacked together.
– Removed the privy from Hideout 2.
– Altered pigs behaviour.
– Added feedback when trying to craft a hotbar / inventory upgrade, when you already maxed it. Additionaly, these upgrades apply automatically after crafting them.
– The infection does not show up in Hideout 1 anymore. It’s introduced somewhere along the way.
– Added several small introductory descriptions and items.
– Wolfman does not visit you on the first day now.
– Item upgrade window is now on top of the crafting menu, to properly display on lower resolutions.
– You will get a warning when trying to load a incompatible save file, prompting you to delete the file or downgrade to the specified version.
– You can change your current hotbar slot when running now. Note that this will not cause the character to switch items during running (he will still have to play the item switch animation).
– Spiders which crawled inside their holes now leave them after some time.
– Removed random chance of bleeding.
– Changed mushroom essence balance.
– You can repair and upgrade the pitchfork now.
– Mushrooms now glow slightly.
– Small changes (and many fixes) to how journal entries are displayed. They feel more natural now.
– Added info to an item’s popup window if it’s broken and needs to be repaired.
– Thanks to upgrading Unity to the latest version, we now have a non-hacky way to constrain the mouse cursor to the game window, yay!
– Fixed a lot of typos (thanks Cameron!).
– Fixed night events not happening after some time of playing.
– Lots of fixes to night events. Especially the shadows event, where it could turn off all the lights, or only leave the workbench light turned on.
– Fixed nasty bug causing the game to be darker than it should be in the first days.
– Reconverted all dialogue portraits for better quality.
– Fixed player reach being dependent on resolution.
– Fixed a nasty dialogue bug, where dialogue states for characters would not get properly saved, especially for characters who move around the map, like Wolf.
– Fixes to Elk sounds.
– Fixed scrap metal exploit when disarming traps.
– Some fixes to health bars.
– Fixed Skill popups incorrect positioning.
– Fixed several issues with the morning mode.
– Fixed no rain sound when loaded game during rain.
– Fixed incorrect rain droplets placement.
– Fixed issues where player would get stuck in sleeping position after dreams.
– Fixed annoying dog barking bug, causing it to play like the dog was next to you.
– Fixed some characters’ corpses being hard to select.
– Removed some repairkits and pellets.
– Fixed mushrooms not rotting in some cases.
– Fixed flare save / loading bugs.
– Fixed flare behaving a bit differently when dropped or by throwing it.
– Fixed respawning loot in dead enemies, and being tagged as not searched.
– Cut in half Chompers display and behave properly after loading game.
– Fixed no sound when the player is burning.
– Fixed mutated pig teleporting all over the place.
– Fixed being able to hide lit matches back into the inventory.
– Fixed barricaded window / door sprite glitches.
– Lots of pathfinding fixes to characters (like getting stuck on doors).
– Fixed trading exploit.
– Fixed some characters rotating after death.
– Fixed being able to disarm a beartrap through doors.
– Fixed additional items created during crafting (like a bottle when using alcohol) not dropping when your inventory is full.
– Fixed game saving when entering a location where a NPC has died.
– Fixed some location settings not saving.
– Fixed a sudden change of color after respawn when died during the night.
– Fixed padlock UI placement below the hotbar on low resolutions.
– Fixed portrait background on low resolutions.
– Fixed receiving damage from Shadows when staying in the light.
– Fixed journal items not centering on screen initially when examining them, and not positioning correctly after changing resolution in-game.
– Player now moves his legs when dragging something.
– Fixed some issues when trolling dragging.
– Fixed wardrobe sprite rotation glitch.
– Fixed a lot of cursor trolling errors.
– Fixed madman in doctor’s house talking after death.
– Fixed hard to select tractors.
– Cleaned up layer priorities for a lot of objects.
– Fixed stuffed lynx not colliding with some objects properly.
– Fixed mutated pig aggressive behaviour.
– Fixed some character effects not being reset when entering some dreams.
– Fixed your current character effects not being saved when returning from dreams.
– Fixed random wilderness objects spawning inside landmark locations.
– Fixed several errors in banshee behaviour.
– Fixed bugs in the Chicken Lady’s secret.
– Fixed being able to swap items with containers which should be impossible to place items in.
– Fixed Wolfman not appearing after Church dream in hideouts 2 and 3.
– Fixed being able to walk on the Mutated Pig after it’s been killed.
– Fixed rare bug when picking up a item just before day start.
– Fixed some exploits with The Three.
– Fixed some rare bugs when loading the game during the morning Time Freeze.
– Fixed the Saw not saving correctly.
– Fixed a few workbench bugs, and crafting schematics not refreshing sometimes.
– Fixed some floaty objects.
– Fixed being able to walk in a weird mutated root.
– Fixed some shaders for bushes.
– Fixed improper lighting for some shaders.
– Fixed flare ignite sound having a low pass.
– Fixed some issues for characters jumping through obstacles even though they have no room to do so.
– Fixed some big wilderness objects, like fallen trees or huge rocks overlapping locations.
– Fixed the Apply Settings button in the Video Options being broken in rare cases.
– Fixed improper amount of randomly spawned objects, depending on how the world got generated.
– Fixed relentless pursuit behaviour for some characters.
– Fixed Musican’s parents’ quest not registering the Card.
– Fixed a rare bug when crafting the lantern.
– Fixed item popup modifiers not disappearing when opening the map on a map marker when having a weapon already selected.
– Fixed characters spawning inside and being stuck in large objects.
– Fixed spiders appearing above some furniture.
– Fixed not being able to drag journal items when clicking on a description box.
– Fixed a lot of errors with area events – firing after loading when they should not, or registering enter and exit events when jumping over obstacles.
– Fixed errors with characters picking up the wrong patrol waypoints in some cases.
– Fixed characters incorrectly thinking they have reached a waypoint, resulting in getting stuck or leaving a patrol route too early.
– Fixed inventory item context menu firing up, when opening a container which only has one action associated with it by long clicking on it.
– Fixed being able to fail disarming the broken glass.
– Fixed being able to see world culling after the prologue on slower machines.
– Fixed weird dog defensive behaviour (sometimes they barked at you, even though they were rotated somewhere else).
– Added priority to location spawning, so that locations that MUST spawn have enough room to do so.
– Fixed broken tractor landmark being… broken.
– Fixed several issues with black screen tweens.
– Fixed player not rotating in a 180 angle after starting the prologue…
– Fixed characters being able to push around the player when he’s barricading something.
– Added “open door” icon to a locked door’s context menu.
– Fixed cursor changing it’s value when dragging something.
– Fixed cut in half chompers which spawned at night not disappearing after day start.
– Fixed an occurence of characters disappearing / reappearing in front of player.
– Fixed ways to troll jumping through the window.
– Fixed a few ways in how the player could immobilise himself.
– Fixes to overlapping items cycle.
– Fixed being able to continue barricading a door when somebody else opened it.
– Fixed the placement of Wolfman’s camp (sometimes it could spawn right next to your hideout).
– Fixed some night sounds not disappearing after starting the day.
– Fixed improper church bell placement.
– Fixed shrines not affecting pathfinding.
Special thanks to the valiant efforts of our testers: ShadyS, DeforMC and Rednecklawrence! This alpha had about a dozen of release candidate versions, all of which had to be tested out in order to squash those peksy bugs!
We hope you enjoy what we’ve cooked up for you in this update!
The Acid Wizard