by Acid Wizard
Here’s a bugfix update for some of the issues that were introduced in the last major update. There are still some things left to be fixed, but all the most annoying bugs have been squashed, at least to our knowledge!
– Loading times are shorter.
– Added loading progress bar.
– Changed rewards for completing Piotrek’s quest.
– Added new sprites for Mushroom Granny.
– Increased quality of lantern light.
– Nerfed bottle / broken glass.
– Nerfed damage done to barricades by knife.
– Added sound of burning infection.
– Added some map icons.
– Fixed events with a delay not being completed in very rare cases if you save and reload your game immediately after it fires. This happened very rarely, but could break the game.
– Fixed many objects not saving correctly or being a bit different after being loaded.
– Fixed many random small issues like some sounds not playing in rare cases.
– Fixed dead enemies having their sprite duplicated.
– Fixed Human Spiders screaming even after being killed.
– Fixed multiple ways of getting stuck on the second underground door in the tunnels.
– Fixed getting stuck in the void after completing the Cellar dream.
– Fixed performance drop when hanging around the Huge Lake for some time.
– Fixed huge lag when the Talking Tree is burning.
– Fixed being able to exit the second doctor dream.
– Fixed some instances of the game breaking after loading the game directly after ending the doctor dream.
– Fixed flicker when clicking on objects.
– Fixed invisible objects inside of Snail’s house in some cases.
– Fixed some AI behaviour, especially during night time.
– Fixed some night events not happening.
– Fixed help message being visible in main menu.
– Fixed a rock blocking the way in the second part of the underground tunnels in a specific case.
– Fixed several issues in Mushroom Granny’s or Child’s dialogue.
– Fixed inventory respawning in dead trader NPCs.
– Fixed Wolf dialogue when you kill the Sister and Chicken Lady at once.
– Fixed infection not saving correctly.
– Fixed infinite item durability bug.
– Fixed journal pointing to a “empty” biome.
– Fixed Cripple dialogue where he points you in a unspecified direction.
– Fixed ambient light popup in village entrance.
– Fixed having to re-enter Mushroom Glade to finish Mushroom Granny’s quest if you’ve done the thing she asks of you BEFORE visiting her for the first time.
– Fixed a few issues with the Human Spider Minion spawner.
– Fixed glitch if killing The Three via molotov.
– Fixed The Three disappearing after having a dream during morning mode.
– Fixed root sprite glitches in Swamp hideout during morning mode.
– Fixed dark overlay textures along the edges of the world.
– Fixed items resetting if you’ve died in chapter 2 on permadeath.
– Fixed lakes sometimes overlapping the Quarry.
– Fixed unnecessary final workshop upgrade.
– Fixed man in church not having the medallion.
– Fixed not having the plastic chick on start of chapter 1.
– Fixed some objects being on bad layers.
– Fixed quarry sometimes not spawning.
– Fixed old version of snail location spawning on rare occasions.
– Fixed gasoline trail saving incorrectly.
– Fixed dead cripple disappearing after you’ve burned the tree.
– Fixed invisible legs when walking on the bridge in chapter 1 village. I had to make the water impassable, maybe we’ll find a way to fix this in the future.
– Fixed some characters being afraid of roads 😛
– Fixed missing message when trying to quit in the 1st part of prologue.
– Fixed events in the Big Lake after loading.
– Fixed issues with the quest outcomes in the Musician house.
– Fixed missing key in the church underground if you’ve killed the chomper in the dream.
– Fixed items resetting for a game loaded from a previous compatible alpha and immediately loading a game after that.
– Fixed being able to destroy Piotrek’s door.
– Fixed Swamper bugging out if stepping into a beartrap.
– Fixed chain trap remains not disappearing after some time.
– Fixed being able to talk to the underground door after you open it.
– Fixed mushrooms rotting during time freeze or inside trader inventories.
– Fixed incorrect behaviour of mutated dogs in Wolfman’s Old Woods hideout.
– Fixed incorrect item generation in some containers.
– Fixed duplicate sounds for Chomper.
– Fixed banshee first visit sometimes appearing outside of hideout, making it very risky to grab her “gift”.
– Fixed barricade removal sound being too loud.
– Fixed madman’s chest being empty.
– Fixed some windows having bad sprites after having their barricade destroyed.
– Fixed bad chomper behaviour in some ruins in the swamp.
– Fixed some mushrooms being underwater in the mushroom glade.
– Fixed double footsteps when running with a rifle.
– Fixed very long burning effect when walking into the Talking Tree’s roots fire.
– Fixed some particles not playing correctly after some time, like gas, blood splats etc.
– Fixed incorrect crafting schematics in hideout 1 and 2.
– Fixed not being able to jump over the rebuilt fences in the swamp hideout.
– Fixed incorrect loading of characters that escaped out of their location and got killed.
– Fixed morning sound not disappearing if you’ve died when it was playing.
– Fixed having to rebuild the well each time after load.
– Fixed some visual bugs in the quarry.
– Fixed chomper getting glitched out when trying to eat a meat lure.
– Added more columns to the porter inventory so it is visible on small screens if you’ve transported a lot of stuff.
The Acid Wizard
by Acid Wizard
Get ready for the biggest update yet! I know we’ve said that before, and there were some pretty epic updates in the past… But seriously, this one takes the cake. It’s so big I wouldn’t know where to begin when trying to list all the changes we’ve made, so I’ll just name the main things:
– CHAPTER TWO! That’s right, a whole new world for you to explore.
– Chapter 1 is mostly the same, although it has been rebalanced somewhat.
– Get ready to get your feet wet – a new Swamp biome!
– Around a half a dozen of new NPCs!
– New enemies, with more varied and advanced behaviour!
– New traps, items and weapons!
I won’t spoil all the new content, but there is some technical stuff I’d like to point out:
– You can skip right to Chapter 2 if you have a save file from a previous alpha where you completed the first chapter (it will be displayed in green in the profiles menu). BUT you will skip some content from the ending of Chapter 1… so it’s your call.
– I’ve put a lot of effort to optimize memory and garbage collection, so I hope any out-of-memory crashes are a thing of the past! Additionally, this should help a lot with people with low-end CPUs with stuttering problems.
– You can disable the gamepad mode entirely in the control options if it interferes with your setup.
– The Epilogue will probably be unavailable until the final release.
Even though we’ve tested this update pretty heavily, it was impossible to catch and fix all the bugs given the size of the changes, so please bear with us! There is some content that did not make it into this update, but for now we will focus on fixing any non-minor bugs we find.
We are slowly nearing the end of development, so if you’ve already played some of Darkwood, we strongly advise you wait until the final release so you don’t burn yourself out.
I’d like to thank all the testers who helped out during the last few weeks of huntings for bugs: ShadyS, FireRage259, DeforMC and SDF121! Much love guys!
In the meantime, we will be visiting streams and watching gameplay footage from you guys!
The Acid Wizard
by Acid Wizard
It has been some time since we have updated Darkwood. So long that some of you have been raising concerns about the game being abandoned, us being eaten by a Chomper or other horrible thing.
Let me put these fears to rest, dear Mortal! Darkwood is alive and well, although we admit that development is very slow, but please know we are putting all the energy and passion we have into this project!
The next alpha will be the biggest yet! Apart from the usual many bugfixes and general improvements, here are the highlights:
A new chapter
This means a new biome, locations, NPCs, enemies, items, objects and mechanics! Stuff that explodes, new uses for the shovel, rebuilding parts of your hideout and more!
There are unique dangers hiding beneath the surface of the many lakes littered around this biome. Traversing water will require a different approach than walking on solid ground. There is also a dense fog, which appears from time to time.
Vines and chains
You can expect to encounter various uses of this mechanic, including chain traps or things that crawl on the ground and try to catch and immobilise you.
New enemy behaviour
The enemies introduced in this update use more advanced tactics than the existing ones. This includes submerging underwater or underground, surrounding movement and sideways dodging, and reacting to your field of view.
I’ve spent a lot of time on optimizing performance and memory usage. In particular, in previous versions of Darkwood, the lighting system could cause occasional stuttering due to memory allocation, but no more in the next alpha!
There are a ton of other changes big and small that will make it into the new alpha. There is no set date when we expect it to release, so please be patient with us!
by Acid Wizard
Get ready for another update to Alpha 7! This update mostly focuses on fixes and minor new features.
– Some furniture is now destructible!
– In gamepad mode, selecting items is now easier. Furthermore, if you are not aiming anywhere, the nearest item close to you will be automatically selected.
– The game now saves when entering a location outside of the forest, before a dream, and when starting the second part of the prologue.
– Added Prologue and Chapter 1 messages.
– You can now dodge when having any item equipped, not only melee weapons.
– After a new day, a fullscreen message appears notifying about it, instead of a text message on the bottom of the screen.
– A new enemy.
– Added camera shake and some new doctor animations to prologue.
– Updated flashing stamina bar when not having enough stamina to do something.
– Notifier messages, like when discovering a new location, have been also updated.
– Added a notifier when you receive reputation with someone.
– Fixed characters getting stuck in cornfields.
– Having a flashlight no longer makes you fully safe from Shadows.
– New pixelation shader for some stuff.
– Items and doors now receive force when being shot.
– When you die and drop your inventory in a location outside of the forest, you will now see a icon on the map indicating the entrance to that location.
– The Bike Man now has an unquenchable thirst 😉
– After dying, your respawn area will be cleared of stuff that can be dangerous to you, like infection or traps.
– You can’t travel through the hole to the village during the night anymore.
– Wolf now marks his camps on your map, as opposed to giving directions.
– The Three no longer sell welders and toolboxes.
– Changed light disable time by Banshee scream.
– Added option to turn pages in the notes part of the journal.
– Audio filters like low pass now tween nicely.
– Less stamina drain when running on roads.
– Fixed exploit with characters that are eating something.
– Fixed wood logs blocking a door in the village.
– Fixed some weird dialogue or locking out the player from continuing the story when murdering NPCs in certain sequences.
– Fixed pigshed lever not working in some cases.
– Fixed being able to use the pigshed lever when the generator turned itself off when ran out of juice.
– Removed discover popup from hideout 1.
– Added stamina bar flash when dodging and not having enough stamina.
– Hopefully fixed a door glitch making it stuck.
– Fixes to particles not playing correctly.
– Fixes to enemy health bars not updating sometimes when being hit.
– Fixes to weird enemy behaviour when you are in their line of sight, but they have no way of getting to you.
– Fixed banshee behaviour.
– Fixed pathfinding sometimes not updating correctly.
– Fixed message when going to main menu.
– Fixed message when trying to quit in prologue.
– Fixed villager with torch not emitting light.
– Performance and memory improvements with characters not being culled correctly.
– Fixed being able to pick up items which are hidden behind the crafting menu.
– Bullet shot particles now display in the correct impact place.
– Fixed incorrect molotov spawn point when throwing.
– Fixed being able to hear weird sounds when generating world / loading game.
– Roads in the village no longer block some furniture.
– Wolf no longer appears for no reason when you have died during the second night.
– Fixed some dream locations and their pathfinding not removing itself properly.
– Fixed exploit when repairing multiple items at a time.
– Fixed villager in border cottage talking when you’ve already killed him.
– Fixed item name sometimes not following the cursor.
– Fixed positioning of some objects being under / over the player incorrectly.
– Fixed displaying unnecessary controls in Control Menu.
– Fixed controls mask in Control Menu.
– Normalized item mass and drag values to be consistent.
– Fixed weird character behaviour when wanting to escape, but having nowhere to run to 😛
– Fixed spiders being able to spawn inside walls in some cases.
– Many fixes to cutscene sequences after failing / winning doctor’s dream and loading the game immediately afterwards.
– Fixed having to select item again when you have it selected in your hotbar and repair it.
– Fixed characters appearing on top of stuff like tents for no apparent reason.
– Fixed incorrect FOV when in cutscenes.
– Fixed padlock state not saving in some story-related objects.
– Fixed big objects like tree clusters spawning on top of roads.
– Fixed many ways to troll the villagers in the pigsheds.
– Fixed trees spawning on top of bushes.
– Fixed readability of player spoken messages (last word would be sent to a new line mid-word).
– Fixed pitchfork getting stuck mid-air when destroying a door.
– Fixed weird door in pigsheds.
– Fixed the passage to doctor’s house not opening itself after attaining the doctor’s directions.
– Fixed different layouts of the underground well not appearing correctly.
– Fixed weird Antek behaviour.
– Fixed pigshed lever sounds sometimes playing twice.
– Added a notifier when selecting the cut cables, when the generator is running.
– Fixed using the pigshed lever when the mother sow is already dead.
– Fixed broken light sparks sometimes displaying incorrectly.
– Fixed porter sometimes getting stuck in time and space.
– Fixed summoned dogs spawning inside places which they can’t get out of.
– Fixed some characters getting resurrected in the village.
– Fixed weird gap in journal keys.
– Fixed smoke in burned house in village .
– Fixed being able to get behind characters doing idle animations and pushing them around.
– Fixed missing Linux cursor.
– Fixed dog summon animation incorrectly displaying. Also, modified the summon time.
– Fixed pigs and chickens sometimes disappearing in the village.
– Fixed gasoline spill animation getting stuck in place sometimes.
– Fixed life counter getting overlapped by health bar.
– Fixed some events / area effects not being applied properly when loading a game and player is inside that area.
– Fixed some tree clusters getting broken on game load and being inconsistent with other trees.
– Fixed lag when getting hit or walking into a poison mushroom for the first time.
– Some story related doors / windows are unbarricadable now.
– Prologue dream now ends on first hit by chomper, not when dying.
– Fixed time not displaying correctly when loading game in village.
– Fixed some weird things happening when dying just before daytime.
– Fixed some musican bugs, like not playing the violin or not wanting to run away.
– Fixed player being in the wrong place when loading a game when exited the well underground.
– Fixed camera shake being overriden with a shake of a smaller magnitude.
– Fixed cut off chomper scream in well underground.
– Fixed tractor having a health bar even though the musician got out from under it in some cases.
– Fixed some culling problems when traveling between outside locations, resulting in poor performance.
– Fixed being able to see the journal when in second part of prologue.
– Fixed infections having bad object ID’s sometimes.
– Fixed some pathfinding issues for characters, resulting in playing their idle animations in wrong places sometimes.
– Fixed some objects sprites being reverted to their undestroyed version on game load.
– Fixed empty bottle in player hands rendered as a piece of meat.
– Fixed redneck being bigger when playing his draw animation.
– Fixed error when a character would try to mark something on your map if you’ve never opened it before.
– Removed double footstep sounds for shotguns.
– Fixed occurences where enemy corpses would disappear under some sprites.
– Changed light disable time by banshee scream.
– Fixed redneck who is burying himself trying to play a animation he does not have.
– Removed duplicate electronic game.
– Fixed some objects not having colliders.
– Fixed dialogue freeze when talking in doctor in underground entrance after a won dream.
– Fixed possibility of Doctor freezing after being hit.
– Fixed trainwreck trap music reappearing after a loaded game or when reentering this location.
– Fixed weird menu glitch when having the game minimized in the main menu for some time and then returning to it.
In the meantime, we’re busy working on the Epilogue and Chapter 2. Here’s a sneak peak of the new Swamp biome:
As always, I’d like to thank the testers for their hard work on making sure this alpha is nice and smooth: ShadyS, FireRage259 and Vixx! 🙂
The Acid Wizard