by Acid Wizard
This update is a bit overdue, as I had to undergo appendectomy last month and needed some time to recover.
- Darkwood now supports gamepads! Just press any button on your controller during gameplay to switch to gamepad mode, which has many changes compared to the mouse + keyboard scheme to make it easier to play.
Please note that this feature is still experimental, and as we’re not really gamepad players, we’re looking for feedback on how to improve this mode!
- A new difficulty mode! Instead of a permadeath switch when starting a new game, there are now three difficulties: Normal (the same as the non-permadeath mode), Hard (you have a limited number of lives), and Nightmare (the same as the previous permadeath mode).
- Lights and your FOV are blurred (only on High FX settings).
- The protagonist has been completely redrawn! Apart from a sleek new look and new animations, there have been changes to weapon speed and range.
- The Rock Savage has a new look too!
- Some balance changes to items, monsters and weapons.
- Lamps have a bigger light range.
- Modified spawn locations for Elks.
- The pitchfork can get stuck in walls now.
- Some new items to examine.
- Added hints before nightfall concerning the Oven.
- Completely redone the input system to fix some annoying issues.
- Fixes to a few player animation issues.
- Fixes to pathfinding for some enemies in the wilderness, especially elks.
- Fixed not being able to jump through the fence in doctor dream.
- Fixed doctor’s portrait suddenly changing into the generator…
- Fixed Careful Step perk not working with beartraps which were set before the game starts.
- Fixed Scary Face perk making a delay where you can’t use other perks.
- Fixed issues with small windows.
- Fixed black screen after doctor dream.
- Fixed electronic game.
- HOPEFULLY fixed sound volume being reset sometimes.
- Some crafting fixes.
- Fixed weapons losing their upgrades.
- Fixed some items being refilled after death.
- Fixed static effect being applied after getting hit during night.
- Fixed flare smoke rendering incorrectly.
- Removed a few repair kits.
- The protagonist can’t be moved when dying now.
- Fixed torch flames not disappearing when destroying the torch by hitting something.
- Fixes to walls, windows and doors being incorrectly lit.
What’s next? Artur has drawn a ton of new stuff which is waiting to be added, and it looks like we will focus on reworking the storyline of the first chapter in the next update!
The Acid Wizard
by Acid Wizard
It’s time for Alpha 6!
- The well is gone! It may return in a different form in the future, but right now it was just too cumbersome and unintuitive as a mechanic.
- Instead, ovens in hideouts now produce a special kind of gas, which protects you from the horrors that haunt the woods at night.
- New skills, and a new Active Skills menu!
- Added Dynamic Resolution to Video Options (default: on). This means that you will see the same view area around your character on all resolutions.
- Added Hotbar Scroll to Control Options (default: on). You can now change your currently selected hotbar item with your mouse scrollbar.
- Added info popups to some buttons in the main menu.
- The big container in hideouts is now merged with the workbench for less time consuming crafting.
- You can now transport all of your loot from other hideouts by using a special item.
- Gasoline usage by the saw is now shown on the fuel bar (one bar = one wood log converted).
- Dying now respawns you in your current hideout, instead of somewhere in the wild. You also drop half of your items, instead of all. This is connected in other changes we plan for death mechanics in the future.
- Two new NPCs.
- One new enemy.
- Spiders are now invulnerable to fire.
- Balance changes to nights.
- You can’t put stuff in corpses now. This is to prevent placing important items in bodies which might disappear later.
- The map you find in the Underground shows the location of Hideout 2. Additionaly, the hideout is now always close to the gate from the Meadow to the Forest.
- Some changes to player responsiveness, like jumping over obstacles or eating stuff.
- Added feedback when a item is not repairable.
- Gasoline cans can be stacked together.
- Removed the privy from Hideout 2.
- Altered pigs behaviour.
- Added feedback when trying to craft a hotbar / inventory upgrade, when you already maxed it. Additionaly, these upgrades apply automatically after crafting them.
- The infection does not show up in Hideout 1 anymore. It’s introduced somewhere along the way.
- Added several small introductory descriptions and items.
- Wolfman does not visit you on the first day now.
- Item upgrade window is now on top of the crafting menu, to properly display on lower resolutions.
- You will get a warning when trying to load a incompatible save file, prompting you to delete the file or downgrade to the specified version.
- You can change your current hotbar slot when running now. Note that this will not cause the character to switch items during running (he will still have to play the item switch animation).
- Spiders which crawled inside their holes now leave them after some time.
- Removed random chance of bleeding.
- Changed mushroom essence balance.
- You can repair and upgrade the pitchfork now.
- Mushrooms now glow slightly.
- Small changes (and many fixes) to how journal entries are displayed. They feel more natural now.
- Added info to an item’s popup window if it’s broken and needs to be repaired.
- Thanks to upgrading Unity to the latest version, we now have a non-hacky way to constrain the mouse cursor to the game window, yay!
- Fixed a lot of typos (thanks Cameron!).
- Fixed night events not happening after some time of playing.
- Lots of fixes to night events. Especially the shadows event, where it could turn off all the lights, or only leave the workbench light turned on.
- Fixed nasty bug causing the game to be darker than it should be in the first days.
- Reconverted all dialogue portraits for better quality.
- Fixed player reach being dependent on resolution.
- Fixed a nasty dialogue bug, where dialogue states for characters would not get properly saved, especially for characters who move around the map, like Wolf.
- Fixes to Elk sounds.
- Fixed scrap metal exploit when disarming traps.
- Some fixes to health bars.
- Fixed Skill popups incorrect positioning.
- Fixed several issues with the morning mode.
- Fixed no rain sound when loaded game during rain.
- Fixed incorrect rain droplets placement.
- Fixed issues where player would get stuck in sleeping position after dreams.
- Fixed annoying dog barking bug, causing it to play like the dog was next to you.
- Fixed some characters’ corpses being hard to select.
- Removed some repairkits and pellets.
- Fixed mushrooms not rotting in some cases.
- Fixed flare save / loading bugs.
- Fixed flare behaving a bit differently when dropped or by throwing it.
- Fixed respawning loot in dead enemies, and being tagged as not searched.
- Cut in half Chompers display and behave properly after loading game.
- Fixed no sound when the player is burning.
- Fixed mutated pig teleporting all over the place.
- Fixed being able to hide lit matches back into the inventory.
- Fixed barricaded window / door sprite glitches.
- Lots of pathfinding fixes to characters (like getting stuck on doors).
- Fixed trading exploit.
- Fixed some characters rotating after death.
- Fixed being able to disarm a beartrap through doors.
- Fixed additional items created during crafting (like a bottle when using alcohol) not dropping when your inventory is full.
- Fixed game saving when entering a location where a NPC has died.
- Fixed some location settings not saving.
- Fixed a sudden change of color after respawn when died during the night.
- Fixed padlock UI placement below the hotbar on low resolutions.
- Fixed portrait background on low resolutions.
- Fixed receiving damage from Shadows when staying in the light.
- Fixed journal items not centering on screen initially when examining them, and not positioning correctly after changing resolution in-game.
- Player now moves his legs when dragging something.
- Fixed some issues when trolling dragging.
- Fixed wardrobe sprite rotation glitch.
- Fixed a lot of cursor trolling errors.
- Fixed madman in doctor’s house talking after death.
- Fixed hard to select tractors.
- Cleaned up layer priorities for a lot of objects.
- Fixed stuffed lynx not colliding with some objects properly.
- Fixed mutated pig aggressive behaviour.
- Fixed some character effects not being reset when entering some dreams.
- Fixed your current character effects not being saved when returning from dreams.
- Fixed random wilderness objects spawning inside landmark locations.
- Fixed several errors in banshee behaviour.
- Fixed bugs in the Chicken Lady’s secret.
- Fixed being able to swap items with containers which should be impossible to place items in.
- Fixed Wolfman not appearing after Church dream in hideouts 2 and 3.
- Fixed being able to walk on the Mutated Pig after it’s been killed.
- Fixed rare bug when picking up a item just before day start.
- Fixed some exploits with The Three.
- Fixed some rare bugs when loading the game during the morning Time Freeze.
- Fixed the Saw not saving correctly.
- Fixed a few workbench bugs, and crafting schematics not refreshing sometimes.
- Fixed some floaty objects.
- Fixed being able to walk in a weird mutated root.
- Fixed some shaders for bushes.
- Fixed improper lighting for some shaders.
- Fixed flare ignite sound having a low pass.
- Fixed some issues for characters jumping through obstacles even though they have no room to do so.
- Fixed some big wilderness objects, like fallen trees or huge rocks overlapping locations.
- Fixed the Apply Settings button in the Video Options being broken in rare cases.
- Fixed improper amount of randomly spawned objects, depending on how the world got generated.
- Fixed relentless pursuit behaviour for some characters.
- Fixed Musican’s parents’ quest not registering the Card.
- Fixed a rare bug when crafting the lantern.
- Fixed item popup modifiers not disappearing when opening the map on a map marker when having a weapon already selected.
- Fixed characters spawning inside and being stuck in large objects.
- Fixed spiders appearing above some furniture.
- Fixed not being able to drag journal items when clicking on a description box.
- Fixed a lot of errors with area events – firing after loading when they should not, or registering enter and exit events when jumping over obstacles.
- Fixed errors with characters picking up the wrong patrol waypoints in some cases.
- Fixed characters incorrectly thinking they have reached a waypoint, resulting in getting stuck or leaving a patrol route too early.
- Fixed inventory item context menu firing up, when opening a container which only has one action associated with it by long clicking on it.
- Fixed being able to fail disarming the broken glass.
- Fixed being able to see world culling after the prologue on slower machines.
- Fixed weird dog defensive behaviour (sometimes they barked at you, even though they were rotated somewhere else).
- Added priority to location spawning, so that locations that MUST spawn have enough room to do so.
- Fixed broken tractor landmark being… broken.
- Fixed several issues with black screen tweens.
- Fixed player not rotating in a 180 angle after starting the prologue…
- Fixed characters being able to push around the player when he’s barricading something.
- Added “open door” icon to a locked door’s context menu.
- Fixed cursor changing it’s value when dragging something.
- Fixed cut in half chompers which spawned at night not disappearing after day start.
- Fixed an occurence of characters disappearing / reappearing in front of player.
- Fixed ways to troll jumping through the window.
- Fixed a few ways in how the player could immobilise himself.
- Fixes to overlapping items cycle.
- Fixed being able to continue barricading a door when somebody else opened it.
- Fixed the placement of Wolfman’s camp (sometimes it could spawn right next to your hideout).
- Fixed some night sounds not disappearing after starting the day.
- Fixed improper church bell placement.
- Fixed shrines not affecting pathfinding.
Special thanks to the valiant efforts of our testers: ShadyS, DeforMC and Rednecklawrence! This alpha had about a dozen of release candidate versions, all of which had to be tested out in order to squash those peksy bugs!
We hope you enjoy what we’ve cooked up for you in this update!
The Acid Wizard
by Acid Wizard
Alpha 5 is here, baby!
- Added workbenches to hideouts.
- Most of crafting schematics found in the world have been removed. Instead, upgrade your workbench to craft more stuff. Upgrading a workbench applies to all other workbenches in the world.
- Repair kits have been removed. You can repair weapons on workbenches.
- Removed random modifiers from weapons. Instead, you can upgrade weapons on the workbench.
- Outside of workbenches, you can only craft basic items.
- New trading UI – no more accidental purchases!
- A new event happens each time you survive the night. Time stops, so you can repair your hideout and get ready before you venture out into the woods.
- You will be visited by a new NPC.
- New UI for the Saw.
- Better biome borders. They still need work, but they’re less confusing now, and following them will eventually lead to something that will help you navigate.
- Roads are better. There’s more of them, they navigate to locations better, and they no longer create empty space around them.
- Better location placement, making sure generic locations do not appear too close to one another.
- Biomes are tighter, with more stuff happening inside.
- New locations.
- New enemies.
- New melee and ranged weapon.
- The pellet gun has been removed.
- Ovens have their own efficiency, which affects how much essence you can extract from items.
- There are only two types of mushrooms now: regular and night mushrooms.
- Mushroom poisoning is shorter.
- A balance pass to loot distribution, gasoline usage, crafting and item values.
- New night events.
- New sounds effects and music.
- Thrown items (except the flare) do not drop after leaving aim mode or getting hit.
- Improvements to AI, especially during the night. It’s a bit harder to escape enemies in the hideouts now.
- Improvements to stuttering during exploration.
- Popups position themselves automatically if a part of them displays offscreen.
- Added a big container close to the workbench.
- It’s not possible to start raining on the first day now.
- The “slow” effect on the player now removes the ability to run, instead of just slowing you down.
- Drinking alcohol (or using it during crafting) now produces a empty bottle.
- You can open your journal in dreams. (I was sure this was added in a previous update)
- Infestations can now be burned with a torch.
- NPC’s do not trigger traps anymore (so you don’t accidentally kill Wolf if he appeared on top of your beartrap).
- Shovels and axes cannot be found on the ground anymore (except in the prologue and dreams). Instead, you find parts of weapons and craft them on the workbench.
- Fixed cases where you would sometimes miss enemies when shooting, especially in point blank range. Still might need some work though.
- Fixed several issues to do with eating bait by enemies.
- Fixes for disappearing and weirdly behaving enemies who chased the player out of a location, lost him, and then engaged with him again.
- Fixes for enemies not wanting to search for the player after losing him in a building.
- Fixed shadows event, where sometimes ALL lights would get turned off.
- Also, only inside lights can be left turned on by this event, so the player is not forced to stay outside during the night.
- Fixed rock savage sometimes forgetting to throw his rock…
- Fixed case when player would get frozen when died during jumping.
- If a character gives you a key, it is automatically added to your journal (so you don’t have to click on it in your inventory).
- Fixed tons of UI glitches.
- Fixed case when the player could achieve a higher level than possible, crashing the game.
- Fixed broken pigs in the pigshed.
- If the player is using a door in any way (barricading, interacting with it’s context menu), this action will be cancelled if the door is opened / destroyed by somebody else.
- Fixed a few crafting errors.
- Fixed glitchy healthbar for enemies / objects.
- Fixed or adjusted hitboxes for several characters.
- Fixed being able to move (or shoot) characters during their death animation.
- Fixed sound slider not affecting the game sometimes.
- Increased radius for the closest location to the player which is marked on the map.
- Fixed a case where the player would respawn in the wrong biome.
- Fixed issues with timing of attacks by enemies.
- You can’t dodge anymore when trying to jump through a window or when browsing the inventory.
- Fixed infinite torch when stepping in beartraps and then dying.
- Fixed some items being reset when loading game.
- Fixed third eye perk bugging out when aiming weapons.
- When returning from a underground location, the saving icon appears before the save process begins, so it doesn’t look like the game crashed anymore.
- Fixed door sensors not resetting after being destroyed.
- Fixed some sounds playing several times rapidly.
- Fixed sound slider.
- Fixed doctor’s house not culling itself correctly when returning from it, resulting in performance drop.
- Fixed epilogue dream not behaving correctly.
- Fixed many cursor glitches.
- Fixed enemy combat issue, where they could spam attacks.
- Fixed enemy sprites behaving weird just after death.
- Fixed major issue where enemies would not run away or despawn during night events, making nights more difficult than intended.
- Fixed drag and mass values for some items.
- Fixed issue where your character would want to jump over windows constantly after dying when jumping previously.
- Disabled lamp sparks are timed properly now.
- Fixed being able to select objects when aiming a thrown item by trolling the run button.
- Fixes to trolling crafting (or other cases of using the progress bar) and menus like leveling, trading.
- Fixed lamps not resetting correctly if your generator ran out of juice during the shadows event.
- After the prologue, you start in the morning instead of the middle of the day.
- Fixed some pathfinding issues, making enemies get stuck on doors / barricades.
- Radio popup in prologue now displays “Examine” instead of “Pick up”.
- Fixed prologue dead bodies hitboxes.
- Fixed slight lag after walking into a mushroom.
- And lots of other fixes I forgot to write down
Hotfix 1, 13.06.2015
- Fixed a case where the burned cottage between the Meadow and Old Woods would be rotated incorrectly.
- Fixed crafting requirements for high level workbenches.
- Added workbench level cap.
- Removed some repair kits from the game.
- Added a few missing translations.
- Added loot to a picture on the wall.
- Fixed pigs in the pigshed being aggro to the player when attacked by villagers.
- Fixed not being able to enter the journal when dreaming.
- Fixed villager in pigsheds not doing any damage.
- REMOVE KEBAB
- Dogs are a bit relentless sometimes. Don’t know why, so I temporarily nerfed their speed slightly.
Phew, that’s a lot of stuff! There might be some bugs that got through the testing builds from the recent changes, but once we iron them out in the next minor update, I think we will be albe to describe Darkwood as pretty darn stable.
It looks like we’re in the final stages of modifying the gameplay mechanics. As of now, we still have to work on a few things, like The Well (or get rid of it in favour of something else), adding unpredictability to exploring locations, or the loot distribution system, and of course some technical stuff like gamma settings and normalizing the camera zoom across all resolutions… But once we’re through with that, we can focus on the things veteran players are interested most: adding more content!
The Acid Wizard
by Acid Wizard
We’re close to finishing up work on Alpha 5! Here’s a sneak peak on what we’ve been working on:
The majority of craftable items are now created through the workbench. Instead of finding recipes for new items all over the place, you will have to upgrade your workbench to craft better items. Workbenches are found in every hideout.
Repair kits have been removed. You will be able to repair your weapons on the workbench.
In addition, weapons can be upgraded / modified with different perks.
The workbench gives players some short-term goals to look forward to, which are much needed until we add more detail to the storyline.
A lot of work has been put to make exploration better and more rewarding, with new locations and a more varied wilderness. Roads are more plentiful and informative (they don’t end in the middle of nowhere anymore).
Biome borders have been overhauled, and now contain unique stuff and are much less confusing. Also, new enemies have been added.
Other bigger changes:
- New trading UI, preventing accidental purchases.
- Time freezes after surviving the night, allowing you to breathe a little, repair your hideout and interact with a new NPC.
- New weapons.
- The saw has it’s own UI now.
- There are only two types of mushrooms now: regular and night mushrooms. The essence you gain from them depends on the quality of the oven you use.
- Loot randomization has been put through a balance pass (the system needs to be pretty much redone in the future though).
Apart from the major changes, we’ve spent a lot of time on refining smaller elements and squashing bugs, but those will be outlined in the update notes.
How to disable automatic updates
If you don’t want to upgrade to the latest version of Darkwood and do not wish to play around with going offline on Steam, we’ve added a option to keep playing on a earlier version of Darkwood with only 6 mouse clicks!
Right click on Darkwood in your Steam library, and select “Properties”.
Click the “BETAS” tab.
From the drop-down list, select the version of the game you are playing on now (WARNING: selecting a EARLIER version will result in weird stuff happening when loading a game!). The “testing” and “internaltesting_2″ betas are hidden, so don’t worry if you don’t see them.
Click CLOSE and you’re done! If you wish to return to automatic updates, just select “none” from the menu.
A test version has been released, so expect the next alpha to go public pretty soon if all goes well!
In other news, we’re very happy to be part of Independent By Design, a upcoming book about the stories of awesome indie game developers like Lucas Pope, Frictional Games, inXile Entertainment, Dennaton, Vlambeer… And, well, us!
The book is in the final days of it’s Kickstarter, so it’s your last chance to get it early!